First, let's keep it real and inspire and support families to make this commitment to family meals, not just set up more guilt or blame for busy families. Just start where you are and resolve to make it work for your family, even if you have to start with super-small steps. Time at the Table has a family dinner pledge you can take and just once a week is a starting point!
With that in mind, I am proud to join with Blog for Family Dinner as we encourage families to recommit to family meals in the new year. B4FD will be posting articles all month to inspire you and give advice about how to make family meals a meaningful, and manageable, and part of your life.
A few more places to find New Year's inspiration:
- Spirit Magazine (the in-flight magazine of SouthWest airline) has a great article, Tell Me Something, with lots of fun tips and advice on starting the new year out right, including a long quote from me about the benefits of family dinner. Scroll down for section: Is there a Simple Way to Keep My Family Happy and Healthy?
- The Lunch Tray, Bettina Elias Siegel: My 2012 Food Resolutions
- New Year, New Beginnings on Family Health Habits, Guest Blog by Connie Evers, TruthOnHealth.org
- She Know Parenting: Family New Year's Resolutions
- New Year's Resolutions for Your Family, About.com Tween Guide by Jennifer O'Donnell
Please share any posts or ideas about recommitting to family dinner in the new year in the comment section or on the Facebook pages for EatDinner.org or Blog for Family Dinner. We are creating a broad community to chat about these issues and would love to hear your voice.
Happy New Year and here's to a happy and healthy 2012 with a "family dinner" at every table!